Tribe Football 2008: Offense

Last season, the Tribe offense posted 30-plus points in its first three contests before a rash of injuries tore into the unit, claiming the squad’s top running back and wide receiver, among others. A year later, the offense returns, energized by the improved health of senior tailback DeBrian Holmes and junior wideout D.J. McAulay. With senior quarterback Jake Phillips in charge — he threw for over 2,800 yards and garnered third team All-CAA honors last season — the Tribe’s offensive production should exceed its 29 points per game in 2007.

Though the Tribe has suffered from injuries in the preseason, its depth at the skill-positions has the unit prepared for a 2008 campaign in which the squad looks to be among the top offenses in the CAA.
“I’m definitely excited. Guys have worked really hard in the offseason trying to rehab and get themselves back to where they need to be,” senior wideout Elliott Mack said. “We’re really looking forward to putting some points on the board.”

As long as the unit stays healthy and Phillips retains his sterling form, that shouldn’t be a problem.

“Jake had a very good year for us last year,” head coach Jimmye Laycock said. “It’s great having him in charge and running the show this year.”